Sunday, September 25, 2005
Since I had so much trouble finding a pattern for fingerless gloves that I really loved, I decided to try my hand at making up my own as I go along. I'm using this beautiful deep purple wool/mohair blend that I got from Anmiryam, and I absolutely love them so far! I put a cable on the front, and am about halfway up the first glove. I am going to try to finish the first glove tomorrow/tuesday, I really want to have them finished by the time it gets cold here. At least I have time still!
I did some shopping this weekend too, went to my LYS, Woolwinders and picked a little something up for my secret pal, and actually managed not to buy anything for myself! Then today at target I also found a few other things to add to my first package to send out. Hopefully I'll get to the post office this week.
Posted by Shelby at 9:13 PM
Friday, September 23, 2005
Well, now that SP5 is over, I thought I'd comment on my experience. I had a lot of fun sending gifts to my pal, Hayley. I've really enjoyed reading her blog, and learning about her. I wish her all the best and hope we can keep in touch. My spoiler was Anmiryam, and she was awesome! I had a great time and it was a lot of fun seeing what she picked out for me. I just got my last package yesterday, and I LOVED it! It contained a great book called "Scarves- a Knitters dozen", a neat kit to make a felted flower pin, and a really pretty sweater pin. Here are some pics:
I want to send a big thank you to Anmiryam! You were an amazing SP! I'm also having fun reading your blog and learning a bit about you as well. Keep in touch!
Posted by Shelby at 7:39 AM
Thursday, September 22, 2005
Tuesday, September 13, 2005
I was in blogland yesterday, and found the coolest scarf I've ever seen! It's a scarf with the DNA double helix cabled within it. I am absolutely going to make this one!
On another note, I've gotten a lot done on my socks in the last few days. I've turned the heel and started the foot, and should be done by the weekend. It's so neat to see it all come together. Soon I'll have a nice, warm pair of socks to wear this fall/winter.
Posted by Shelby at 1:36 PM
Thursday, September 08, 2005
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
Sadly, I am a bit of a yarn snob. I do gravitate towards soft, natural fibers, but am certainly willing to try anything once.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I am a horrible crochet-er, and am dying to learn how to spin.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
Smoke gives me migranes.
4. How long have you been knitting?
I've known how to knit for over 20 years, but have been knitting seriously for one year.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I have an amazon one, but I haven't updated it in a while.
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
vanilla, citrus, floral
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
YES YES YES!!!
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I'm a scrapbooker and photographer, and I quilt.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I guess that would be mainly rock if you had to classify it. I have an iBook/iPod, so yup, I love the mp3's!
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
Blues, greens and purples.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I'm married, wtih a 18 month old daughter, and 2 cats.
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
to travel a lot, have a big family and be happy!
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I love Debbie Bliss' collections, Knitpicks has some great yarns as well. I'm a huge fan of hand-painted yarn.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
I have knitting ADD. I have at least 10 projects going at all times, and at various stages. I can't say that I have an obsession.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I do a lot of baby clothes, for my daughter and for friends. I'm trying socks (still on my first pair) and fingerless gloves (still on my first pair). I do like instant gratification.
17. What are you knitting right now?
Um...too many things to list here.
18. What do you think about ponchos?
I like them, I'm making one right now.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
21. Are you a sock knitter?
I'm trying to be...
22. How did you learn to knit?
My aunt taught me when I was about 5. She used to make the nicest fair-isle mittens.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
about 1 year old.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
I love poodles (just ask my daughter who was dressed in a pink poodle costume last halloween).
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Halloween, followed closely by my birthday.
26. Is there anything that you collect?
yarn, scrapbooking supplies, and poodles. Oh yes, and wine...I have about 5 cases at the moment.
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
Scarf style or wrap style.
29. Any patterns you have been coveting, but haven't bought for one reason or another??
30. What are your foot measurements, and what kind of socks do you like?
I have a size 9-1/2 to 10 foot. It seems that when I got pregnant two years ago, my feet grew an entire size! I hope that doesn't happen next time!
Posted by Shelby at 2:07 PM