Saturday, May 09, 2009

CSA

I've been such a crappy blogger lately! I'm really going to work on that! I have some great posts a'brewing, from Maryland Sheep and Wool, a few dyeing days at my place, and lots of other stuff. But first, I want to post about the new thing we've started doing this year- a CSA. One of the ladies in one of the knitting groups I go to and I have decided to split a CSA share this summer, and today was the first pick up! I met up with her, got the goods, and we split them up at her place.

Here is a pic of my half:

Here you see some purple cabbage, lettuce, spring onions, asparagus, strawberries, and mint. They were going to include radishes, but since neither of us will eat them, they gave us extra asparagus instead. Yum! And they also gave us 2 extra containers of berries, so we had double. I got them home, and stashed everything in the fridge and went outside to work in our garden. We did eat the lettuce for dinner, as well as the berries for dessert. And some mint in mojitos. It rocked. The salad was probably the yummiest salad I've had in ages. Yay for fresh produce!

So I had started loads of seedlings about 2 months ago...and they were doing great! Until someone (a rat) decided to eat the tops off of the broccoli, so they ended up being moved outside, where they'd have a chance at survival. Let's just say that they were sad, and neglected after going outside (not enough watering...less sunlight...). So I was going to plant the pathetic little things, but plan on going to pick up some actual plants this week or next. Until our neighbor gave me his extras! Now I have a few tomato and pepper plants that absolutely will survive. And the peas are already growing out in the garden, and I planted the beans today (better late than never...). We also got the beds surrounded with fencing to keep out the adorable veggie-eating bunnies. I am curious to see what will grow. We'll either end up with TONs of tomato plants or just a few.

For some knitting content- I finally finished Celia's first pair of socks! They are out of my yarn, that Celia helped me dye, and they are fabulous. Black with pinks. Really pretty. I can't wait to show them to her tomorrow! I've also made some real progress on Ishbel, which is the first lace project I've really made actual progress on. And it seems to be working and turning out really pretty. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

And last but not least, Happy Mothers Day to all of you mothers out there! I'm looking forward to a breakfast of blueberry pancakes, some good quality time with Celia, Seth and the DH, and hopefully some dyeing time. So much to do and so little time!!