Thursday, October 05, 2006

Socks!

In the spirit of Socktoberfest, Lolly has asked us to answer a few questions about our love of socks. Here goes!

* When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
I went over to Woolwinders, and asked for a reccommendation of a good sock pattern. The owner, Jacqui pointed me to the Ann Norling pattern, so I bought that, some regia striped sock yarn, and some size 2 Crystal Palace needles. The pattern was great, and when I got a little stuck with the gussett, I just put on the episode of Knitty Gritty where they made socks. I love TiVo!

* What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
My first pair was out of regia self striping, with blue, purple, green and grey/white stripes. I've worn them only a few times, but they are fantastic! I made a mistake with one heel, the flap was too long, but other than that I love them. They have held up perfectly.
* What would you have done differently?
Paid more attention, since one heel was too long. Other than that, not much.
* What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
I am doing socks out of koigu right now, and I really love them. I also started some in Socks that Rock, which is amazing. Any hand dyed yarns are great in my book. It's so much fun to see how they come out when knit up.
* Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
I don't crochet well, so I only knit. I have tried DPNs, 2 circs and magic loop. I am really loving magic loop right now! But I have few small circs, so I tend to use my DPNs as well. I have to have more than 2 socks going at a time!
* Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
I've only tried the heel flap.
* How many pairs have you made?
So far I've completed 3 pairs, and have several in different stages. My second pair was a birthday gift for my mom last year, who loves them! Especially to walk the dog in cold Buffalo winter weather.