Monday, October 30, 2006

There's a first time for everything.

This weekend was a hectic and crazy weekend! My mom and step-father were up friday and saturday, and my in-laws came up late friday, through saturday/sunday and just left this morning. I'm exhausted! For the first time in a long time I am glad to be at work!

Friday, my mom, step-father, Celia and I took a trip into Alexandria, VA to see what it was like. None of us had been there before (or in a long time at least), so it was an adventure. It was drizzling pretty much all afternoon, but we hit a great spot for lunch. It was called Bittersweet, and it was Karma for us to go there, because the house I grew up in was on Bittersweet Lane. ;) The food was excellent, sandwiches and soup and cookies! We walked around a bit, and stumbled on Knit Happens! I was SO excited to find this place, since I've seen a lot about it online. Overall, I liked some of what they had- a TON of Koigu, Art Yarns, Lorna's Laces and various other yarns. I found a few things I liked, but didn't buy anything! See, when we walked in, we had my daughter with us, and she was in her harness. We just got this harness thursday, because she's now in a phase where she refuses to sit in a stroller, and will run off before you can blink an eye if you aren't very careful. The harness lets us keep her close, and she doesn't mind it at all. I was walking towards the back, where there were a few ladies at a table chatting. One turned over to the other, and said something like "the leash= NOT A FAN." I looked at her, so she knew I heard her, and was pretty annoyed! I walked out after a few minutes of browsing, without buying a single skein of yarn. And I would have bought 2 or 3 skeins of the Artyarn. That was their loss. Though I'm sure one loss of sale isn't going to matter to them, I still couldn't justify spending money there.

Saturday morning was Celia's gymnastics class. I wanted my mom and step-father to go, because they hadn't been before. She did great, and had a blast! I signed her up for the 3 year old class again too. Then we got back to the house and my in-laws had left, to go into DC to get my FIL's tags for the marathon on sunday. They left Nathan at home, without telling him how long they were going to be (if they were coming back right away or staying in DC). So we left them a key, and went shopping at Tyson's Corner. I did some good shopping too! Bought new sneakers for me and the hubby at New Balance store, a down vest for me at L.L. Bean and some shirts from J.Jill. We had an awesome lunch, and headed back home around 3. The Inlaws finally got back around 4. We all went for dinner after that, and got home in time to get Celia in for a good night sleep.

Sunday was not great. I was planning on running to the grocery store and getting the food for the week, and a pumpkin, and coming home. Instead, we all went, which always takes much longer than if it's just me. Then we ate lunch and headed into Rosslyn to see Nathan's dad finish the race (which we didn't do because it was way too far, and with Celia, I didn't want to push her any more than we already had. She was crabby, cold, and never got a nap. Needless to say, it was not the place to take a young child, and we should have stayed home. After we met up with FIL, we waited for an hour to get into the metro station, and finally got a train back. We ended up being 2 hours late for a pumpkin carving party that celia was invited to, which I felt horrible about. She was really looking forward to it, and missed half of it. Anyway, the party was fun! Celia had fun playing, I carved the pumpkin, we ate pizza and cupcakes (yum!), and chatted. Celia had an awful night. She fell asleep in the car on the way home (she was exhausted!!), which was probably an hour later than we would have stayed if we actually got there on time. By the time we got her home and woke her up, she was hysterical. For Two hours, hysterical.

Thankfully everyone left this morning and we can get her back to her routine. I love it when people visit, just NOT all at the same time. It's too much stimulation for her, and then I get upset because she's tired and upset. I know I usually don't vent too many personal things on this blog, so I do appologize for that. I just really need to go home tonight, pop open a nice bottle of red wine, and drink the entire thing. I'm not cooking tonight. Can we say Pizza??