Monday, October 02, 2006

SP9 questions...answered!!

Dear Secret Pal 9,

I hope these answers help. If you need to know anything else, please don't hesitate to ask!!

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I tend to prefer natural yarns, and have been really going nuts with sock yarn lately, especially the hand dyed ones. I've wanted to try malabrigo as well, but haven't had a chance to order any yet. I love yarns that are soft. Some of my fave's are Socks that Rock, Fleece Artist, Cherry Tree Hill, Mountain colors, etc. I am a total yarn snob, but do believe that every yarn has a place.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I have a lovely needle holder that my SP7 made me for my straights, and my circs are in a zipper bag that my SP8 gave me. I don't have anywhere to store my dpns, they are just in the original packaging in a drawer when they aren't on a project.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I've been knitting for 25 years, I learned when I was 5 when my aunt taught me. I put it down many times over the years, and really started becoming knit obsessed when just after I had my daughter and I wanted to make her pretty little sweaters. I consider myself intermediate, and willing to try anything!

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
Yes, it's linked to on my side bar.

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)
lavendar vanilla, anything crisp and clean. And cinnamon- love that in the fall/winter.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
YES! Twizzlers, sweet tarts, spree and starburst are some of my fave's...but I also LOVE chocolate. Anything milk chocolate with peanut butter, caramel or mint. I hate coconut...but anything else is great!

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I scrapbook, rubber stamp, make stitch markers/jewelry, love photography, I have been spinning on a turkish drop spindle and hope to buy a wheel very soon...still working out which one I really want, I love to cook, and wine tasting/collecting.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I love mucic! The only thing I don't love is country music and rap. My favorite bands are Barenaked Ladies, Guster, Great Big Sea, Dave Matthews Band, and They Might Be Giants. I have an iPOD and iBook, so MP3s are always welcome!!

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I love blues, purples, greens and pinks. I really don't care much for yellow or orange.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
I have a husband, 2 and a half year old daughter, and 2 cats.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes, yes, yes, and not yet. I started a poncho a year and a half ago and haven't finished it yet...will be froged soon because it's not really what I wanted to do with the yarn. I do like poncho's though.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
lately it's been socks, but sweaters for my daughter are a close second.

13. What are you knitting right now?
Um, too many things. Socks, mittens, a hat, scarves, purses, sweaters for me and my daughter...

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Absolutely!!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
circulars for most projects. I love bamboo/wood needles. Though the new Knit Picks needles are great and I want to get more of those too.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
No...maybe someday.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
2 years, it's a crochet blanket that is awful. It was my first attempt, and uses LB Homespun, which is very hard to crochet with because you cant' see the stitches well! Needs to be frogged and started over.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
Halloween and Thanksgiving. But now that I have a kid, Christmas is up at the top of the list too.

19. Is there anything that you collect?
wine, fabric, yarn, tea

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I really want Sensational Knitted Socks and Scarf Style. Needles- the DPNs I've been needing are size 6, 7, 9. I've been on a sock yarn kick lately, anything in great colors is awesome!! I don't have any subscriptions, I love Interweave Knits though. Had a subscription but it expired and I haven't gotten around to renewing it.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Just spinning on a wheel- hoping to order one when I go up to Rhinebeck in a few weeks, but we'll see!

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes!! I have a size 10 wide foot.
23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)
6/25/76, just turned 30!